Sunday, March 11, 2007

Halliburton--Dubai and good riddance!

Halliburton, the oil services company famous for its unflagging support of the Bush administrations goal of draining the U.S. Treasury, has just announced it is moving its headquarters to Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. After being awarded many billions of dollars worth of government contracts, either directly or through its subsidiary companies, its hard to imagine a better place to do business than the good 'ol U.S.of A. But what do I know? I can speculate that Dick Cheney has passed word to them that our treasury is nearly empty, and that Dubai's is still in good shape. Or, it may be that Halliburton is moving because of the excessive tax burden imposed on them here(HAHAHA). Or, it may be that we don't have an extradition treaty with Dubai and they're looking for a safe haven so that they can't be made to answer for the horrible ripoffs that helped them to a profit of 2.3 billion dollars last year( Congressional investigations have a way of making war-profiteering thieves kinda antsy). Or, it might be that Cheney asked them to leave the country so they can't testify against him. It might be all of those things, or none of them. Whatever the reason, you can be sure it will be hailed as a "sound business decision". I really don't know why they're leaving because I never understood the criminal mind, but I'll be glad to see their sorry asses gone. I'll be glad to see our government cancel all of their existing contracts too, but I'm not holding my breath.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=2941931

1 comment:

Brad Eleven said...

Ehhhh, I thought the same thing this morning, but either they changed their mind, or it's only a 2nd Corp HQ. I still marvel--and wince--at the painfully obvious power grab to have an ex-director as the VP. It's embarrassing.